UI Developer Working with HTML/CSS
We're looking for someone to join our Chichester team and create great responsive experiences for both new and existing clients in e-commerce, hospitality and beyond.
You will work with our designers, PHP developers, and other UI developers to deliver beautiful websites and champion front-end best practice across all our sites.
You should be able to show us some examples of how you have a real eye for the little details and care about doing Good Work.
- Dependent upon experience
- Full time
- Chichester, West Sussex
It depends on your experience level, and we don't expect you to know everything already, but here are some of the skills we hope you have some experience with or are actively learning:
- You have a track record of getting things done and can show us some work you're proud of.
- You know about how to create responsive layouts in CSS.
- You have some experience serving responsive images with HTML5.
- You're enthusiastic about new browser technologies and love learning about how and when to use them (and when not to).
- You understand modern HTML5 semantics - when and why to use particular markup for both SEO and accessibility.
- You've used a CSS preprocessor for both efficiency and abstraction. We use SASS, but LESS skills are pretty transferable.
There are some other areas that would be a great help and really push someone up that "dependent upon experience" scale:
- You've got your hands dirty with a front end workflow tool like Grunt, Gulp, Broccoli or one of the many others. Currently we use Gulp but the exact tool isn't important.
- You're familiar with what affects front-end performance, how to measure it and how to improve it.
- You have been exposed to, and are hopefully enthusiastic about, BEM - we are.
- You've worked with git and ideally GitHub.
- You have the skills to build and test responsive emails. It's not the most glamorous work but it's definitely one for a specialist.
- You know your way around a bit of PHP. This is a front end role, but being able to fiddle around in PHP or twig templates would make life a little easier for everyone.
- You've worked or played with some of the more technical HTML5 technologies like Canvas and WebGL.
Our studio is in Chichester and we run fairly flexible working hours.
We provide everyone with a MacBook Pro, breakfast and an employee perks scheme. We also organise weekly team lunches here in Chichester and monthly gatherings with our sister office in London.
You also get access to dental care, a pension, a cycle to work scheme and a Treehouse account for improving your skills.
You can see a rather outdated sample of the kind of work we do in our portfolio but here are a few less visible front-end projects we've been enjoying recently:
- An engraving tool for Monica Vinader that allows users to customise jewellery with text and doodles using HTML5 Canvas.
- An iPad based system for Sipsmith's 100 Martinis events where customers choose and order cocktails at their table.
A WebGL rendering engine for Loopie to create beautiful 3D visualisations of cyclists' GPS tracks.
If this sounds like you, apply below.
D3R is an equal opportunities employer and actively welcomes applications from anyone (except recruitment agencies).
Ordinarily our team members all work from one of our two office but due to Covid-19 we are currently working remotely. The above mentioned lunches and meetups are still going ahead, albeit virtually. Depending on timing, the successful candidate for this role may be onboarded remotely and work from home initially, though the current expectation is that they will start working from one of our offices when conditions and government guidance allow for a safe return. Depending on individuals and their particular circumstances, there may be some flexibility in this regard. This is something we can discuss with the right candidate.
A happy employee is a productive employee
So if you fancy a lie in or need to get away early it's not a problem.
Never go hungry (or thirsty)
Enjoy breakfast with us and there's always fresh fruit, great coffee and snacks available for when you get peckish.
A tale of two cities
Fancy a change of scene? We have offices in London and Chichester. You'll be welcome in both.
Healthy and happy
Among hundreds of other perks like discounted cinema tickets and national attractions you'll also get mobile phone insurance and a great dental plan.
Latest and greatest hardware
You'll get your own brand new MacBook Pro with Retina display, an extra display or two and software of your choice.
Fly like an eagle
You'll be surrounded by people who love what they do and are keen to help. Not to mention access to online resources, conferences and events.