Front End Developer
Front-end HTML/CSS Developer - London
We are looking for a front end specialist to join our expanding London team in Soho and help create exceptional experiences for our range of respected brands within the e-commerce, luxury hospitality, travel and drinks sectors.
- Dependent upon experience
- Full time
- Soho, London
We're looking for someone to join our London team and create great responsive experiences for both new and existing clients. in ecommerce, hospitality and beyond.
You will work with our designers and PHP developers to deliver beautiful websites and play a central role in championing best practices in front-end development across all our sites.
You should be able to show us some examples of how you have a real eye for the little details and care about about doing Good Work.
We don't expect you to know everything already, but here are some of the skills we hope you have or are nearly there with:
- You have a track record of gettings things done and can show us some work you're proud of.
- You know all about how to create responsive layouts in CSS and serve responsive images with HTML5.
- You're enthusiastic about new browser technologies and love learning about how and when to use them (and when not to).
- You really understand modern HTML5 semantics - when and why to use particular markup for both SEO and accessibility.
- You've used a CSS preprocessor for both efficiency and abstraction. We use SASS, but LESS skills are pretty transferable.
- You've got your hands dirty with a front end workflow tool like Grunt, Gulp, Broccoli or one of the many others. Currently we use Gulp but, again, it transfers.
There are some other areas that would be a great help and really push someone up that "dependent upon experience" scale:
- You're familiar with what affects front-end performance and how to measure it. Even better, you're comfortable talking to all stakeholders about the inherent compromises involved.
- You have been exposed to, and are hopefully enthusiastic about, BEM - we are.
- Working with git and GitHub is second nature to you by now.
- You have the skills to build and test responsive emails. If you've done that in the Campaign Monitor ecosystem, that would be perfect.
- You know your way around a bit of PHP. This is primarily a front end role, but being able to fiddle around in PHP templates would make life easier.
- You've worked or played with some of the more technical HTML5 technologies like Canvas and WebGL.
- You have experience working with both developers and designers to agree internal standards and champion best practice.
Our studio is in Soho and we run fairly flexible working hours.
We provide everyone with a MacBook Pro, breakfast and an employee perks scheme. We also organise weekly team lunches here in London and monthly gatherings with our sister office in Chichester.
You also get access to dental care, a pension, a cycle to work scheme and a Treehouse account for improving your skills.
You can see a sample of the kind of work we do in our portfolio but here are a few less visible front-end projects we've been enjoying recently:
- An engraving tool for Monica Vinader that allows users to customise jewellery with text and doodles using HTML5 Canvas.
- An iPad based system for Sipsmith's 100 Martinis events where customers choose and order cocktails at their table.
- A WebGL rendering engine to create beautiful 3D visualisations of cyclists' GPS tracks.
If this sounds like you, apply below and come have a chat with us about the work you've been doing.
D3R is an equal opportunities employer and actively welcome applications from anyone (except recruitment agencies).
A happy employee is a productive employee
So if you fancy a lie in or need to get away early its not a problem
Never go hungry (or thirsty)
Enjoy breakfast with us and there's always fresh fruit, great coffee and snacks available for when you get peckish
A tale of two cities
Fancy a change of scene? With offices in Soho London and Chichester you'll be welcome in both
Healthy and happy
Among hundreds of other perks like discounted cinema tickets and national attractions you'll also get mobile phone insurance and a great dental plan
Latest and greatest hardware
You'll get your own brand new MacBook Pro with Retina display, an extra display or two and software of your choice
Fly like an eagle
You'll be surrounded by people who love what they do and are keen to help. Not to mention access to online resources, conferences and events