We are looking for developers who are experienced with and
enthusiastic about PHP to join our Chichester team.
There are lots of skills and technologies that would be useful,
but to be a great fit for this role, you should be excited about
spending the majority of your time knee deep in object-oriented,
These are the core skills we'd like you to have or be on the way
- You feel at home in modern PHP 7 or 8 and are experienced and
enthusiastic about using object-oriented principles to solve
- You think and care about code reuse and abstraction and are
always looking for ways to increase the leverage of the code you
- You have a solid understanding of Composer and how to manage
your dependencies, ideally with experience of how and when to
separate code into packages.
- You have experience with at least one PHP framework or have
worked with a large, complex application.
- You care about code quality. If you've put this into practice
by testing with PHPUnit, writing standards compliant PHP, or
setting up continuous integration tooling, all the better.
- You're not scared of being a bit of a detective - this could
mean jumping into code and following a bug around but also working
something out with your colleagues when two heads are better than
- You have a track record of getting things done and focussing on
delivery. Ideally you can show us some work you're proud of.
There are lots of other skills we like our devs to have. If
you've got some of these already, that's great. If you are eager to
pick some up, we'd love to discuss further and to help you to
- Front end skills. Many of our developers are full-stack with
to take on more of a project with greater ownership and
- Ecommerce experience. If you've worked on ecommerce, or even
better been involved in the scary end of actually taking people's
money, that would give you a head start with a lot of our
- Web performance. How to measure it, how to improve it and what
value that might bring a client.
- A deep understanding of SQL (we use MariaDB). How to write
complex queries, optimise performance and design a sensible
- Sysadmin and DevOps. We use AWS along with Debian, Puppet and
Terraform. We are always on the lookout for careful experienced
heads to help us manage and improve our infrastructure.
- Experience with ElasticSearch. We're using this more and more
with our clients, and would like to grow the numbers of devs we
have who are knowledgeable about both the application and
- Talking to clients and collaborating with colleagues. We don't
have a typical project management layer so good communication
skills are important, both with customers and the rest of the